Friday, January 25, 2008

BJCP + Beer Review: Iron Hill ESB


In order to both gain more street/beer cred and ramp up my beer knowledge, I'm taking a course with the Beer Judge Certification Program. Why would I want to take any sort of class after I graduated from college just last Spring? Well every week we just sit around an Iron Hill brewpub drinking beer and talking about its finer points. Yeah, it's real tough, and if things go according to plan I'll be an official beer judge by March. Talk about a resume builder.

I don't usually drink much as it's an hour's drive from home and my attention span decreases exponentially with increased alcohol consumption, but this week I had a particularly good brew worth mentioning.

ESB
Extra Special Bitter
Iron Hill Brewery (North Wales location)

A- / 4.25 [on a 1-5 scales]
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | drink: 4.5

On-tap at the brewpub.

Man, it's hard to find an ESB this good. There's a subtle grassy hop note in the background of the aroma along with a hints of chocolate and big, creamy Ringwood character. That carries into the flavor with roasted caramel to make for a near perfect balance of the malt, hops, and yeast. Very drinkable and very tasty. I hope this is still on tap next time I'm in North Wales. Go drink this.

No comments: