Sunday, April 27, 2008

Beer Review: Captain Lawrence Fresh Chester Pale Ale


Captain Lawrence Brewing Co.
Fresh Chester Pale Ale

Before any trip I always check BeerAdvocate's BeerFly guide and Beer Mapping to ensure I don't miss out on any opportunities for great beer. On a drive back from New Haven, CT these great websites led me to the Captain Lawrence Brewing Co. tasting room. Delicious.

After trying a few offerings I settled on their Fresh Chester Pale Ale and I took home a growler. Check it out:

A- / 4.1
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | drink: 4.5

Poured from a growler 24 hours after being filled.

I'm not often impressed by pale ales, but this beer got me. All the flavors were familiar, but it was like they were turned up to 11. The malts are a big bready mix of biscuit, toast, and all-grain crust. Pizza and sandwiches need to be paired with this beer.

Then there's the hops. A great profile of American citrusy hops with grapefruit and a harsher fruit zest finish. All very tasty and in a nice balance to the malts.

Basically this pale ale is big on flavor and bitterness while still maintaining bitterness. A must-try for pale ale fans.

No comments: