Wednesday, November 5, 2008

The Worst Beer Ever: The Search Continues


Blah, blah, blah, election. Blah, blah, blah, change. Blah, Blah, Blah, Obama.

Now that that's out of the way, and we have a good replacement for our nation's first high-functioning moron, let's get back to beer. Actually now that I think about it, this is the perfect time to focus on one of my beer goals, to try all the worst beers in the world as a way to see the worst president out the door.

I don't typically choose or prefer to drink bad beer, but I have the same sort of sick fascination as some people have with death. It's the polar opposite of what I love, good beer. And I feel by better understanding that by understanding the ying of beer, I better know the yang.

At this point the two worst beers I've identified, thanks to sites like BeerAdvocate.com, are Corona Light and Evil Eye, a malt liquor (yes that counts as beer) brewed in Wisconsin. The Corona will be easy to pick up, but the Evil Eye will have to wait until I'm in the Midwest this winter.

Here are a few choice comments on the terrible two.

Corona Light:

"Smell: wet cardboard"

"A flavorless aqueous solution of millet and assorted birdfeed by-products"

"Not drinkable by a longshot, a definite pour and brush my teeth beer."


Evil Eye:

"cloyingly sweet creamed corn with burning alcohol in the throat is enough to make one gag"

"24 oz is a marathon to get down when you are drinking liquid ass"

"rotten white grape and green apple come through, and it is just plain bad"


See what I have to look forward to? On my march to the bottom of the barrel, I recently imbibed a a fairly awful beer. Though based on desciptions, I wouldn't put it the same class as Evil Eye.


Dixie Beer
Dixie Brewing Co.
American Macro Lager

C- / 2.7
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | drink: 2.5

Picked up a bottle at Liberty St. Tavern out of curiosity. In my pint glass it looked a clear straw gold, while a quickly disappearing head.

OK, so this beer basically tastes like someone took a batch of over-cooked corn and baked it. DMS and the corn/vegetable taste dominate, but there's a toasted biscuit note that at least makes this beer a little interesting. I'd really only recommend this beer to Rolling Rock fans, and people that really like corn.

No comments: