Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Good Beer, Disappointing Beer


It's been a mixed bag of beer this past week or so. While I'm always excited to try new breweries, after trying two mediocre brews from Uncommon Brewers, I can't say I'm looking forward to the third in my fridge. I'm sure I'll get to it soon enough, you know, in the name of science. Or thirst.

The Good:

Pacemaker Porter
Flyers Restaurant And Brewery
American Porter | 5.50% ABV

A- / 4.05
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Thanks to Dave for the bomber. This porter opens with a big dark chocolate (lighter, like 35% cacao) character with a dry citrus pepper finish. As it warms, the hops build for sort of a chocolate orange rind character. This is an interesting porter, and that's tough to find. Give this a try.


Summer Of Lager
Cisco Brewers Inc
Munich Helles Lager | 6.25% ABV

B+ / 3.95
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Had a pint at Liberty St Tavern. I assumed this was a pilsner, based on the strong, spicy hop character. It's not overpowering, but provide a tasty balance to the mild toasty grains. The beer didn't have soft bready feel of a classic helles, but that doesn't really matter, this is a fine lager worth enjoying over the summer.


The Disappointing, Should Be Better. Man I Was Hoping It'd Be Good:

Siamese Twin Ale
Uncommon Brewers
Dubbel | 8.50% ABV

C- / 2.73
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Picked up a 16 oz. can for $2.75, no canning date on the bottom. I wasn't terribly impressed by their Golden State Ale, but this is worse. Frankly it reminds me of failed homebrew.

I dont know, maybe this beer was kept in a hot warehouse for a month, or something went wrong between Santa Cruz and Pennsylvania, but I don't enjoy it. There's an odd grassy (not like hops) caramel taste. There's a hint of the kaffir lime that's added I can pull out of the aftertaste, but that's one of the few bright spots. Frankly this smells a bit like an Indian buffet with the coriander and lemongrass additions. I'm not sure what to make of this beer, but I don't want another can.


Sneaky Pete Imperial IPA
Laughing Dog Brewing
American Double / Imperial IPA | 10.00% ABV

C+ / 3.15
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Had a bottle for $8 at the Trapp Door (formerly Tap & Table). The beer was a bit disappointing. It might just need a little time to mellow, but there was a sharp alcohol note with resiny oil without enough hops flavor. There was some nice, floral fruit punch, but the good stuff was too light.

My score might look harsh for a beer that isn't too bad, but there are so many great examples of the style, it'd be a shame to get stuck on this one.

No comments: