Thursday, August 18, 2011

Something Different: Cidre de Bretagne Brut


While most of my gastronomic attention was focused on raw-milk cheeses as I was following the Tour de France (highlights included fresh chevre and a small-town brebis), I happened to grab of a bottle of Cidre de Breatagne during a layover in Rennes.

I wrote a chapter on traditional ciders in the Brewer's Apprentice that included Normand ciders, but this was a different beast. While a Cidre Dupont from Normandy would be rich and wild like a lambic, my Briton cider is much more subtle and drinkable.

It opened with the nose of a Belgian pale ale, with touches of vanilla, coriander, and then of course, apple. The flavor is moderately tart, but not overpowering, with a little lemon rind to complete the soft juicy apple flavor and little champagne-esqe bite. I wish I'd snuck more home.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I drank lots of these in Rennes this summer too. Love the Breton cidre... good post!
~Heath

Dmitri said...

Love the breton cider as well! It is excellent with buckwheat flour crepes