Sunday, August 26, 2012

Catching Up on MN Craft Beer



I was back home in Minneapolis for a wedding last weekend and had my work cut out for me. I'd once grumbled over the slow growth of the Minnesota craft beer scene, though there was no lack of good beer, as I watched the east and west coasts bubble with new breweries. No more.

Over my four nights I only scratched the surface of new brews, mostly catching up on the recent, but not brand new, breweries. While I had my fill of Surly, Lift Bridge, and Steel Toe, I couldn't get my hands on a pint of Badger Hill or Boom Island. Alas. Next time.

Anyways, here are the highlights from my trip. Damn there was a lot of good beer.

Irish Coffee Stout
Lift Bridge Brewery
Milk / Sweet Stout | 8.00% ABV

4.1/5
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Split a bottle with a friend, though I wouldn't have minded having it all to myself. So it's a decent strong milk stout by itself, but the coffee and whisky add delicously mild complements to the smooth, roasty stout. Most coffee stout don't show so much restraint, often taking over the beer. Likewise with the whisky barrel character, I didn't even taste it until the beer started to warm up. Once obvious, I was tasting a smooth, spicy vanilla. Not on the thick side for the strength, though a great sipper. Glad I got to try this beer.


SYX
Surly Brewing Company
American Strong Ale | 14.50% ABV

4.1/5
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Yup, that's a strong beer. Oddly, there was a clear sour funk when the beer was fresh off the tap and faded as it warmed. It tasted like a younger sourness, and, I suspect, could make this beer really interesting in a couple years.

This is a thick, fruity beer with a dry funky edge. I get apricot, marmalade, and tangerine up front and then a more toasty fresh oak barrel kick and wood astringency (not too much, just a touch). It's understandably thick for the strength, and well-balanced by the hops. It's a very good beer as is, but I think in a 12-24 months it could be great.


Sommer Vice
Steel Toe Brewing
Hefeweizen | 5.00% ABV

4/5
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Had a pint at Republic on 7 Corners. Huh, reminds me of the old Summit Hefe (which I really enjoyed), as it's a crisp, spicy wheat beer with no fruity character. The clove almost tastes singed, and the dry toasty wheat and barley provide a great balance to the phenol spices. It's eas-drinking and quite refreshing on a hot day.


Lost Trout
Third Street Brewhouse
American Brown Ale | 4.90% ABV

3.95/5
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

I don't often take notice of brown ale, but this has big cocoa and roasted barley flavors without too thick a body, like so many American browns. It's not sweet and fruity like an English, but also not as bitter as many craft browns. It's just a smooth, clean mix of dark grains that's appropriate in any weather. Check it out. Another fine beer from Third Street. It's great to see the folks in Cold Springs making solid beer.

No comments: