Saturday, July 7, 2007

NYC Beer Hunting


It wasn't really a safari or anything, but I had an eye out for new and rare beers. I hit gold at the Blind Tiger in West Village. I had previously tried maybe six out of their 30 tap offerings. For reference, this is a nice change form when I'd go to Kelly Cole's in Syracuse and have trouble finding something new (and good) on their 70 taps.

I had the Captain Lawrence Liquid Gold, and damn, the name didn't lie. It was a near perfect American adaptation (more hops) of a Belgian pale ale. Yummy. Other noteable beer of late were '06 vintages of the 18% abv World Wide Stout and 11% Immort Ale from Dogfish Head. The WWS was just big and boozy for the most part, but the Immort Ale, a barleywine, knocked my socks of with it's big oak, vanilla, and licorice flavors than blended over the sweet caramel malts.

No comments: