Sunday, December 16, 2007

Beer Review: Carlsberg Beer - How Beer Gets Skunked


This beer is another example of why green bottles are a bad idea. The mixture of a low flavor profile with skunked hops (green glass allows light to pass through, which breaks down chemicals from the hops to create another chemical that's essentially the same as that released from skunk glands) create a fairly unpleasant experience as the malt can't hide the skunk.

overall: 2.15/5
appearance: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2 | mouthfeel: 2 | drinkability: 2.5

This beer is trying to taunt me, telling me I don't need any malt flavor in my beer. Regardless, I'll do my best to keep an objective opinion while reviewing.

The beer starts off with a medium, traditional Euro-skunk a la green bottle. The aroma clears up after about 5 minutes to a very mellow extra pale grains and grassy hops with only a touch of skunk. The flavor follows with an almost tasteless sweet flavor that reminds me of a blander version of Heineken, and mild mix of skunk and noble hops.

No comments: