Saturday, March 29, 2008

Bud Light Chelada: Worst Beer Ever or Simply Misunderstood?


There are a lot of awful and repulsive beers in the world, but there's a special beer aisle in Hell that carries the worst of the worst. For whatever reason, I have a strange desire to try these beers.

For reference, some of the other bottom of the barrel brews are the infamous Crazy Ed's Cave Creek Chili Beer, that beer with the chili in it, Michelob Ultra, and Evil Eye Malt Liquor (in case you're wondering, the vast majority of malt liquors rank about Bud Light Chelada).

In my research one particular gem kept turning up - Bud Light Chelada, a pander by Bud to Hispanic beer drinkers. This beer combines Bud Light with Clamato (yes, clam juice and tomatoes, really) and adds a bit of lime and salt for character.

Before I get to my review, I want to share some of the comments I read that inspired me to track this down:

"I almost threw up, it tastes like tomato and vomit. No beer taste at all."

"It actually brought tears to my eyes at the thought of having to drink the whole 22 ounces and made me do the "it's icky" dance."

"This isn't even your every day, run-of-the-mill bad; it's a special bad that deserves a new name to properly describe it."

"This is a "beer" that has truly scarred me for life."

Who wouldn't want to try this?


Bud Light Chelada
D / 2.2
look: 2 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | drink: 1.5

Picked up a 16 oz. can out of sheer perverse curiosity. Do I regret it? I don't think so. Do I regret not also buying the Budweiser Chelada to taste? Not at all.

It pours a hazy pink with the head of club soda (light and quickly disappearing). The appearance was pretty unappealing, though I guess the style is wide open, but it reminded me of fish guts and it was kind of bloody pink with bits of what I assume to be tomato floating around.

The aroma and flavor came off like a cold, salty version of condensed Campbell's Tomato Soup that's cut with light beer instead of milk or water. Frankly, I found it a bit too salty, even though one of my immediate urges what to add oyster crackers and make myself a grilled cheese sandwich.

The beer came off fairly thick and was by no means easy to drink. This was a definite drain pour for me, but I can see this being an acquired taste as none of the individual flavor were actually repulsive or anything. This beer simply is what it is and now I never have to try it again.

So do I think it deserve to adorn that fiery beer aisle in Hell? Yes, but only because so many people find it so vile.

No comments: