Thursday, May 1, 2008

Beer Review: Great Lakes Nosferatu




I'm still going through the goodies I picked up from Bocktown Beer and Grill outside Pittsburgh. For folks unfamiliar with Bocktown, it appears to be an unassuming strip-mall restaurant from the outside. However, once inside you're met with a long wall of beer coolers and a bar serving nothing but craft beer. In short, it's a bar chalked full of awesome beer that also serves up some tasty grub. Worth a visit for anyone in the area that loves beer. Anyways, here's my review of Nosferatu, one of the gems I got there to-go:

Nosferatu
Great Lakes Brewing Co.

B+ / 3.95
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | drink: 3.5

Interesting - like a good strong ale should be. The main elements here are the chocolate biscuit malts and the grassy and citrus hops. The appearance is a dark red with off-white lacing. The aroma focuses on grassy hops with a hit of sharp grapefruit and peel. The hops are pretty interesting, but seem to have a celery note (I'm not a fan). I can't decide if I like how they work with the malt, but like I said, it's interesting. Definitely worth a try if you dig strong ales. This is one of the few beers I didn't necessarily enjoy, but would still recommend.

No comments: