Tuesday, December 23, 2008

My only Christmas card was from a brewery... and beer reviews


OK, that's a lie, but I liked the sound of it. In truth, I actually got two Christmas cards. One was from Boulevard Brewing Co, the other from a great Runner's World editor who I wrote this recent article on training during your lunch break. And lest you think I'm unloved (if you cared), most cards still go to my family.

In the spirit of the holiday season, here are a couple Christmas surprises I've had in the form of surprisingly good beer. I included my score's deviation from the mean. Mickey's and Kirin both normall average a C- score on BeerAdvocate.com.

Mickey's
SABMiller
American Malt Liquor

C+ / 3.05
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | drink: 3.5
rDev: +15.1%

Drank straight from the wide-mouth, green stubby bottle - as it was meant to be. This beer is surprisingly not bad. I think there's some truth to the bottle's "Fine Malt Liquor" label. Because as far as malt liquor goes, this isn't that far behind Rogue fancy-pants Dad's Little Helper. In terms of flavor, this beer reminds me of a dull PBR. It just has gentle bready malts behind a vague sweetness. Completely drinkable and inoffensive. Worth a try, just because it's Mickey's.

Kirin Ichiban
Kirin Brewery Company
Japanese Rice Lager

B- / 3.4
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | drink: 3.5
rDev: +23.8%

Ordered a bottle with sushi and soup at the Japanese place at DTW airport. This beer masters the style just like Bud Light and the American light lager. This isn't a delicious beer in the grand scheme of thing, but for a Japanese rice lager, it's quite nice. Unfortunately, right off the bat this beer has an odd rubber aroma, but that quickly fades to leave a very clean beer. The malt has a subtle toasted bread flavor and there's a hint of spicy hops. Very drinkable and worth a try next time you sit down for sushi.

No comments: