Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Belgium: It's go time


I get a my plane to Belgium today and in preparation for the trip I've been drinking about as much Belgian beer as I can afford to. You know, for research purposes. Recently I tried a few from the little-known Belgian stout substyle. Oddly enough, they were all listed under different styles on BeerAdvocate.com. I suppose that's one of the problems with having a largely unrecognized style. Here are my thoughts.

Allagash Black
Allagash Brewing Company
Belgian Strong Dark Ale

B / 3.65
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | drink: 3.5

On-tap at Pearly Baker's in Easton, PA. I've been making the rounds with Belgian stouts and this one stands out, for better or worse. It was not my favorite so far. It's not as drinkable as, say, the 9% De Dolle Extra Stout, but it's also more flavorful. There's a strong grape/plum fruit flavor that's too strong for my liking. Aside from that, there are pleasant roasted grains, dry cocoa, and a hint of espresso, maybe. Worth a try, but not my favorite.


De Dolle Extra Export Stout
Brouwerij De Dolle Brouwers
Foreign / Export Stout

B+ / 4
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | drink: 4.5

Had a bottle with dessert at the Farmhouse in Emmaus, PA - made a great pairing with their molten chocolate cake. Like other big Belgian stouts, this is a subtle beer. The aroma reminds me of cooled hot chocolate and the flavor has a slight sour tang with a dry cocoa powder finish. It certainly doesn't drink like a 9% beer, and unlike most export stouts, it has a subtle Belgian flair from a dried fruit flavor undercurrent. I'd say it's worth a try.


Hercule Stout
Brasserie Ellezelloise
Russian Imperial Stout

A- / 4.15
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | drink: 4.5

Picked up a swing-top at Abe's Cold Beer. This certainly is an interesting beer. From the get-go there's a big, sweetish borubon aroma that's intoxicating with an edge of charred grains to it. The flavor is subtle and dangerously drinkable. There's a very Irish-styled mellow mixture of roasted chocolate and dark toast with light prune notes. This beer reminds me of a fine baltic porter for its smooth, dark flavors and mixture of fruit with black barley. I don't know if I've ever come across a stout this strong and this drinkable. There's no hint of the 9% alcohol whatsoever. It's probably a good thing this beer is only sold by the single bottle.

No comments: