Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Winter Warmers and Christmas Beer


I have to admit the that winter warmer style isn't my favorite. Most winterized beers are just a smooth dark red or brown ale with a bunch of dessert spices thrown in. Frankly, I tire of cinnamon and vanilla brews because in most cases the spices talk over the beer's character and leave you with something more like an alcoholic Christmas tea (festive at first, then boring, and later you're just drunk).

Still, I figured the style is all over the beer shelves right now, so I searched through my database in search of some winter warmers I can recommend for a little Christmas cheer. I found one:

Old Jubilation
Avery Brewing Company
Winter Warmer | 8.00% ABV

A- / 4.15
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | drink: 4.5

This is a great looking beer with nice head and retention - a light tan head on ruby and brown body. Smells almost smokey with a mix of herbs and caramel malt. The taste expands with a strong malt flavor of fruit and candy. This is followed unexpectedly (for the style) by citrus hops and decent bitterness. That sure is different, but also welsome. It drinks just a bit hot, but still fairly smooth considering the bitterness. Call it a winter warmer for the hops lover.

No comments: