Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Rediscovering Modern Classics


I haven't completely run out of new beers around the Lehigh Valley to try, but new brews are generally getting more expensive and harder to find. The hunt is fun sometimes, but lately I've been revisiting great beers that I tried years ago and then forgot about in my quest to try, well, everything.


Honker's Ale
Goose Island
English Bitter | 4.20% ABV

B+ / 3.95
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | drink: 4.5

Heck of a beer - the 6-pack didn't last too long in my fridge. While this beer is crisp and rich in flavor like a good American Pale Ale, it has the low alcohol and balanced taste of a classic English Bitter. I'd consider this a well-made hybrid of the styles. On one end there's a tasty mix of barley grain, dark bread, and wholegrain crackers, while the Styrian Golding hops present both earthy spice notes and fruity citrus rind. This brew covers a lot of different and complimentary flavors, all while keeping a light, drinkable body. This is a fantastic session beer.


Two Hearted Ale
Bell's Brewery, Inc.
American IPA | 7.10% ABV

A- / 4.05
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | drink: 4.5

Ok, this might be the best looking IPA I've ever had, but not the best. The appearance has a short creamy head with thick lacing. The aroma is just a general citrus punch, a little weak. The flavor picks things up a bit, but it's not as bitter as I expected. It's a smooth bitter that puts it on par with a hearty pale ale. Still, the taste is of wonderfully fruity hop juice. Not overly powerful, but nice. I'd like a little more kick, but it's still a great beer.


Pikeland Pils
Sly Fox Brewing
German Pilsener | 4.90% ABV

A- / 4.2
look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | drink: 4

This beer looks amazing, it has a white head that won't stop and reminds me of Duvel. Smells of sweet, light malts. The flavor is bland at first but then the hops kick in. Overall tastes of long-lasting grassy, earthy hops with added grapefruit and a bit of fruity malt. A little hoppier than the imports I've had, more like Prima Pils. Actually it's a lot like Prima Pils, but I think I like this better. My can was a touch over carbonated, but it was still very drinkable.


Rare Vos (Amber Ale)
Brewery Ommegang
Belgian Dark Ale

B+ / 3.8
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | drink: 4

Had a bottle with seafood enchiladas at The Mission Restaurant in Syracuse, a great pairing. Rare Vos reminds me a bit of an amber Duvel, though not quite as the complex. The malts are sweet and mild with an apple, cherry, and berry taste. Very drinkable and tasty, but it might be overpriced if you're a budget beer shopper or think Rogue is too expensive.
I've heard people recommend this to beer noobs, but I dont think I'd do the same. The flavor is really all in the bitterness, so if you're not into that, tough.

No comments: