Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Homebrew: Tavern Tan Rye Extra Pale Ale


My friend Dave plays drums for the local band Tavern Tan and recently asked me to brew up something tasty and sessionable for an upcoming show. I came up with what I call a rye extra pale ale. Not only does the rye taste great, but these guys are also no stranger to rye whiskey.

The "extra pale ale" part comes from the lowered bitterness. And, I wouldn't want to call this beer a blond ale, because frankly, American blond ales usually suck. But I also kept the pale ale name because this should have a great hoppy character from the late hop additions despite the low IBUs.

For 5 gallons:

7# Maris Otter
2# Malted Rye
1# Victory Malt

1.33 oz. Mt. Hood @ First Wort Hop
1 oz. Mt. Hood @ 5 min
.67 oz. Mt Hood @ 0 min

Wyeast 1056 American Ale

IBU: 26
SRM: 7
SG: 1.051 (after I poured a quart of water in)
FG: 1.008
ABV: 5.6%

Tasting notes after a week in the fermentor: Big bready flavor with rye and toast followed by mild citrus spice and respectable bitterness (on par for a pale ale). A bit yeasty though.

No comments: