Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Not all Belgian Beer is Awesome: Tripel Abdijbier Dendermonde


I usually look up most new-to-me beers before I buy, but every once in a while I throw caution to the wind. Sometimes I'm delightfully surprised, but most of the time - like this time - I just get a mediocre beer. Dendermonde is further proof that research pays off and that Belgian beer is far from infallible.

In hindsight, this low-scoring brew is no surprise. The De Block brewery makes Satan, a Duvel-knockoff that pales in comparison to the original, and little else worth noting.

Tripel Abdijbier Dendermonde
Brouwerij De Block bvba
Tripel

C+ / 3.2
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | drink: 3.5

Picked up a single at Abe's Cold Beer for $3.25. I figured that was a fair price for a random triple. This beer however, wasn't terribly impressive. Sure, it was smooth and drinkable, but the flavor fell flat. There was a sweet bready malt profile with a hit of vanilla spice, but that's really it. No spicy hops or significant fruit. Not really worth trying for the price.

No comments: