Monday, March 29, 2010

Drinking really, really old beer: La Trappe Enkel


While picking up a case at Shangy's over the weekend, I took a quick look at their small shelf of single (and mostly expensive) bottles. To my surprise, there was something new-to-me, a couple large bottles of La Trappe Enkel - the table beer from the Koningshoeven monks of the Netherlands. Even more surprising was the best by date on the back of the label: November, 1996.

I've tried low-alcohol (under 6% ABV) ales before, and they're typically only worth pouring down your drain. In this case, though, I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to try a roughly 16-year old trappist beer. I wouldn't exactly say I was rewarded for taking this chance and forking over cash for a beer that was probably forgotten about in some corner for at least decade. But it wasn't too bad. I dare say, somewhat enjoyable.

La Trappe Enkel
Bierbrouwerij De Koningshoeven B.V.
Belgian Pale Ale | 5.50% ABV

B / 3.55
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | drink: 3.5

Found at 750ml bottle at Shangy's in Emmaus PA for $11. The label read BEST BY END: NOV96, so take this review with that in mind. The cork looked a little soaked when I opened the bottle and the carbonation was a little low, but not too bad. The body didn't have any protein blobs like some old Belgians. However, like many well-aged beers, this has a strong leather character and I wonder if the cork didn't add the beer's earthy character. Aside from tasting a bit like a new recliner smells, there was just a light liquid caramel note, though the beer was exceedingly smooth. Buying a low-ABV beer this old is a gamble, but I'm glad I took it.

No comments: