Saturday, March 13, 2010

Oregon IPA

It's business time. In conjunction with a project on Oregon beers with Oregon-grown ingredients I'm working on for the International Association of Culinary Profesionals, I've made my own Oregon-centric beer. I couldn't get my hands on Oregon barley, but Jim at Indie Hops send me a pound of Centennial hops. I also used Oregon-cultivated yeast with Wyeast Labs' American Ale II yeast, a relative of the famous Sierra Nevada yeast strain.

I've haven't been this excited about a homebrew in a while. It's going to be f'ing awesome. Having the pound of hops sit out in my kitchen (see below) smelled amazing - I had a room full of hoppy goodness.

Hiphopapotamus
5 Gal Batch
Est ABV: 8%
IBU: 100+

10# Marris Otter Pale Malt
2# Vienna Malt
.5# American crystal 20L
.5# Cara-Pils
Wyeast American Ale II

Mash @ 152, OG: 1.073

2 oz. Centennial (10.5% AA, First Wort Hop)
1 oz. Centennial (10.5% AA, 45 min.)
1 oz. Centennial (10.5% AA, 15 min.)
1 oz. Centennial (10.5% AA, 10 min.)
1 oz. Centennial (10.5% AA, 5 min.)
1 oz. Centennial (10.5% AA, 0 min.)
2 oz. Centennial (10.5% AA, dry hop)

UPDATE 3/23/10: Transferred to secondary and added the dry hops. Tastes amazing with huge blend of spicy citrus flavors but need more aroma. There's even a little hint of the malt in there. Current gravity is 1.013 to put the beer at 7.8%.

Hops Before:


Hops After:

3 comments:

jacob said...

Holy Hops! Any chance there will be any left to bring to MN? Fat chance, I'm sure, but I thought I should try.

Anonymous said...

You could easily be making money online in the hush-hush world of [URL=http://www.www.blackhatmoneymaker.com]blackhat seo forum[/URL], You are far from alone if you have no clue about blackhat marketing. Blackhat marketing uses alternative or not-so-known avenues to build an income online.

Mark said...

Man that is a buttload of hops.