Wednesday, May 19, 2010

195 Bottles? I'm 2,000 Beers In


I recently recorded my 2,000th beer review, which isn't much by some standards, but I think it's a pretty background to talk knowledgeably about beer. I try to actually remember what I tasted about every beer and will drink something again (instead of something new) if I can't remember what to expect.

Anyways, here's my 2,000th review. It was a German Helles lager, which is smoother drinking than a pilsner, with low hop levels and minimal bitterness. It's still full of bready malt and yeast character, and makes a great session beer. Imperial stouts and double IPA's are delicious, don't get me wrong, but I'm more impressed by lower-alcohol beers like this that are just as complex as beers twice their strength.

Mahr's Hell
Mahrs Bräu
Munich Helles Lager | 4.90% ABV

B+ / 3.95
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | drink: 4.5

Ordered a bottle at Tap and Table. Served with a tall Mahrs glass stein, the beer was a beautiful clear gold with a tall white head - we're off to a good start. There's the appropriate hint of sulfur in the aroma with light bread crust. This is a true German lager. It doesn't have the most unique or compelling flavor, but it's super drinkable and tasty. The subtle bread and grain flavors are complimented by a small spicy hop kick in the finish.

No comments: