Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Midnight ELF Black Ale (AKA Black IPA, Cascadian Dark Ale)


Inspired by the Summit Black Ale I enjoyed over the holidays, I put together my own black ale recipe with Summit's key ingredient, Briess Midnight Wheat, and a couple of my favorite American hop varieties. Tonight I transferred to secondary and got my first taste.

As intended, the Midnight Wheat bring the color and flavor of roasted barley, but without the bitter edge. I thought initially my 6 ounces of high-alpha hops would be enough, but if I get a chance I may swing by Keystone Homebrew for a couple more ounces to dry hop.

I should also mention the 95 IBU number seems ridiculous. The beer tasted and felt more like a ~65 IBU ale.

Size: 5.5 gallons
Color: ~29 SRM
Bitterness: 95 IBU
OG: 1.056
FG: 1.010

Alcohol: 5.9% v/v (4.7% w/w)

Grains:
6 lb. Light dry malt extract
1 lb. American crystal 40L
4 oz. American chocolate
8 oz. Roasted barley

Hops:
1 oz. Simcoe (12.2% AA, 60 min.)
1 oz. Chinook (11.8% AA, 30 min.)
1 oz. Simcoe (12.2% AA, 15 min.)
1 oz. Chinook (11.8% AA, 5 min.)
1 oz. Chinook (flame out)
1 oz. Simcoe (flame out)

Yeast: Wyeast 1056 American Ale

No comments: