Wednesday, July 2, 2008

German Beer Reviews: Hacker-Pschorr Munich Gold and Yellowtail Pale Ale



Last night I enjoyed a couple German styles of beer. This should be good prep work for my upcoming trip to Switzerland to visit Dan Hart as he recovers from a his fateful mountain descent, as I'll be in the German-speaking region. Sure I took a semester of German once, but I'm banking on getting by with one all-important phrase, "Ich mochte ein bier, bitte."

Munich Gold
Hacker-Pschorr Brau
Munich Helles Lager

B+ / 3.9
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | drink: 4.5

In a sentence, this beer is simple but tasteful. In my pint glass this beer shines a brilliant gold with a white head that leaves a bit of lacing. The aroma is of sweet, bready grains, a hallmark flavor of the style that carries over onto my palate with a drop of caramel and finish of mild peppery hops.

What can I say other than I could drink a stein-full of this tasty, unadulterated Munich helles lager.


Yellowtail Pale Ale
Ballast Point Brewing Co.
Kolsch

B- / 3.5
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | drink: 4

Well it's a good thing they're calling this a kolsch, because it wasn't much of a pale ale. This beer just has a clean pale malt flavor with a touch of sweet biscuit and a hint of hops. The aroma has sort of a bland light malt smell, but not much more. Still a tasty beer, nothing wrong with drinking this if you want something lighter.

No comments: