Thursday, March 5, 2009

Beer Review: Drinking Shit


There's nothing I could add to this description:

This imperial Oatmeal stout is brewed with one of the world’s most expensive coffees, made from droppings of weasel-like civet cats. The fussy Southeast Asian animals only eat the best and ripest coffee berries. Enzymes in their digestive system help to break down the bean. Workers collect the bean-containing droppings for Civet or Weasel Coffee. The exceedingly rare Civet Coffee has a strong taste and an even stronger aroma.

So just to summarize, I drank beer brewed with poop-coffee. And I liked it. In fact, it might be the best beer I've had this year.

Beer Geek Brunch (Weasel)
Mikkeller
American Double / Imperial Stout

A / 4.3
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | drink: 4.5

Found a bottle hiding on one of the bottom shelves at Abe's Cold Beer for $11.25. I'm not usually impressed with big stouts, but this beer was fantastic. My first issue with imperial stouts is drinkability, but I split the bottle with a friend and could have easily split a second or drank it myself. My other typical concern with the style is that they all have the same heavy roast and cocoa flavors without much deviation. This beer started with a very unique, earthy coffee flavor that rolled off into chocolate liquor, cherries, and then a punch of citrus finishing hops. There was an incredibly long aftertaste that wouldn't seem to quit, though when it finally did, I wished I had more beer.

No comments: