Sunday, March 15, 2009

South Mountain Porter Update


Watch out for this beer. When it's good and done, it'll be taking names and kicking asses. I just siphoned it into the secondary fermentor and it tastes amazing pre-coffee with a mixture of bitter chocolate, burnt/roasted grains (already coffee-like flavors), and a little kiss of citrus hops from the Willamette I threw in.

I also now weighs in at 6.7% ABV. Apparently I underestimated my brewing efficiency and this baby is becoming a bit of monster. Damn this beer is going to rock.

For anyone that's not familiar with common beer ABV's, here are a few generally accepted approximations of popular beers for reference.

Guinness Draught - 4.0% (though many claim it's only 3.8)
Bud Light - 4.2%
Sam Adams Boston Lager - 4.8%
Pabst Blue Ribbon - 5.0%
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale - 5.2%
Anchor Porter - 5.6%
Olde English 800 - 5.9%
Colt 45 - 6.0%
Schlitz Malt Liquor - 6.2%
Redhook IPA 6.5%

2 comments:

Dan said...

This beer looks like it's going to rock. Any guesses as to what the ABV will top out at?

I didn't realize PBR was 5%.

Matt Allyn said...

It'll probably stay around 6.8%. Pretty much all the fermentation is done.