Wednesday, January 14, 2009

I Dream of Belgium: Achel Brune


I'm fortunate enough to heading to Belgium in April, and for the last few weeks I've been ready CamRA's Good Beer Guide to Belgium. It's a nice little book, but whenever I page through I start jonesing real bad for a Belgian ale. Oh man.

Here's a recent Trappist ale I had the pleasure of drinking:

Trappist Achel 8° Brune
Brouwerij der St.Benedictusabdij de Achelse
Dubbel

B+ / 3.9
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | drink: 4.5

Picked up a single at Abe's for $5.25. Not a bad monk-made beer. This is a fine abbey ale. Very smooth flavors and very drinkable. I would have liked a little more pop from the taste, but the caramel and spice are quite pleasing to the senses. I might like to see what a couple years of cellaring could do. If it weren't cost-prohibitive (at least for me), this would be a dangerous beer.

No comments: