Tuesday, January 20, 2009

More Belgian Dreaming: Cantillon Iris


I've been pouring over Tim Webb's Good Beer Guide to Belgium and while it's a well-written and engrossing read (for a beer geek like myself at least), the damn book makes me thirsty. So to quench my thirst tonight, and celebrate the inauguration, I picked up a few classy Belgians from Abe's Cold Beer that included the following.

For a little background, the lambic style is a sour, wild-fermented (basically a controlled spoiling process). Wikipedia sez, "Unblended lambic is a cloudy, uncarbonated, bracingly sour beverage available on tap in only a few locations. Generally three years old."

Cantillon Iris
Brasserie Cantillon
Lambic - Unblended

A- / 4.25
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | drink: 4

2005 Vintage.
Bottled 2007.

Picked up a short green bottle for about $8. This lambic is a bit unusual for it hop character and all-malt grain bill, but it's a nice change of pace. The aroma begins the drink with a mix of musty leather and orange blossom, and the flavor is dominated by a pleasant lemon-lime juice. Tangy sour candy notes dot the edges of the palate, while orange rind and grapefruit hops provide a mild bitterness. This is an excellent lambic and a bit wine-like for white-wine lovers. Highly recommended and worth the money every once and a while.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I do most of my reading while at the Gold’s gyms in Dallas they make my work out easier, while keeping me entertained at the same time.