Sunday, May 20, 2007

Grad Week Thoughts


I'm up in Two Harbors, MN now for some R&R before I head home and have more R&R. There isn't much to say about the town other than it's f-ing cold (it snowed this morning) and I haven't had a good beer yet. The beer situation should change on Tuesday. I'm going to Fitger's Brewhouse down the road in Duluth for a birthday dinner and lots of good beer.

One of the highlights from grad week was my bike ride to Ithaca. It finished at 65 miles from my doorstep in Syracuse to the Ithaca Commons. Christine and Rachel (in town from Michigan Tech) met me there and graciously drove me back. For most of the ride I was uncertain if I should continue biking. There were forecasts of thunder and lightning with an ugly look weather radar. The morning of the ride, I still hadn't decided if I should ride, so I looked out side and asked the Cycling Gods for a sign. I was met with a break in the clouds and warm sun. Finally some deities that don't disappoint. I also picked up a bottle of Ithaca Beer Co's IPAbbey ale, of which only 2000 bottles were made. It's a shame I'll never have that beer again, but its gems like it that keep me searching for the next tasty tipple.

Some friends, in addition to parents, came into town for the weekend. We had about as much fun as possible in between ceremonies and family dinner. The above picture is from the Jerk Magazine seniors party we held for our family and friends at the next-to-campus art gallery. Fun was had by all. In the middle of the picture is Steve. He's back in Long Island now, but we jokingly/seriously will open a brewpub some day. Our friendship is best described by this video from Scrubs.

1 comment:

Jacob said...

Congrats on the graduation. Do you wanna go back yet?

I took a 20-mile bike ride the other day. For a guy who's not in the best shape, on a bike that's about 20 years old, I'd say I did damn good.