Friday, May 4, 2007

Finals Week


All my work is now downhill until Men's Health starts up in June. I'm just finishing my final assignment for Leisure Studies, a senior-level class that's more work than the class title hints at. The assignment is based about Mt. Everest and applies all the concepts that go into leisure, recreation and in this case, mountaineering. It's a little eerie to read about Everest because it has such a powerful draw. Yeah, you and/or your friends might freeze or fall to your death, but you might also reach the top of the world. It's the sort of thing I'd love to do in theory, but not really.

I found this Everest guide site where for $65,000 you can have have a guided summit attempt while receiving the (relatively speaking) royal treatment. But who climbs Everest because they can get served tea while at base camp? Sure, the death ratio is down to only one in twenty dying during a summit attempt, but they call Everest above 26,000 feet the "dead zone" for a reason.

Anyways, finals stuff is almost over and I still have a lot of beer in my apartment. You should stop by and have some. Help a guy out.

New to me:

Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA: The first beer in a horizontal tasting of the Dogfish XX Min IPAs. A nice mix of sweet and tangy hops, worth a try for IPA fans.

Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA: They call it an "imperial IPA." I say it was an imperial amber ale with some decent hops. Just too sweet and not enough bitter for me to call it an IPA, still tasty tho.

Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA: Damn, this beer weighs in at roughly 20% abv. That makes it one of the strongest beers in the world. The overal taste wasn't amazing, but the malt and hops made for a beer liqueur taste that pretty good.

Michelob Light: I was really thirsty after the Daily Orange-Jerk kickball game (we won) and this sure came close to water.

Church Brew IPA: This one's big on the perfume-like hops, they got a little overwhelming.

Stone Smoked Porter: A pretty good porter, and an amazing accompaniment to my spicy sandwich at the Tusk.

Long Trail Blackberry Wheat: An insult to craft beer, blackberries, and wheat. Avoid.

2 comments:

Jacob said...

Yeah..Everest is kinda daunting, being the highest spot on Earth...

...or is it?

That's a link to NPR's Robert Krulwich doing a little investigation on the subject. Click it!

Mike said...

A few things, presumably that I don't expect you to comment on: I would suggest trying Leinie's Summer Shandy. I wouldn't suggest having high expectations for it though.

I can't speak for you, but in my experience, I've never had a Leinies beer that left me disappointed, nor have I had one that left me with more than I expected. They're probably the most consistent beer I've ever had. Which isn't a good thing. But it's not a bad thing, either.