Thursday, April 26, 2007

Review #450


I hit beer review #450 today. Only a semi-quasi-milestone, I know, but it ends with a zero and is only 50 from 500. So what special beer did I pick? Molson Canadian! Why? Because it was free!

The free drink was part of an ED2010 happy hour. ED2010 is a networking group on campus for magazine majors. It's not all free booze and burgers, in fact, it usually isn't those things. Rather they bring in speakers like Gloria Steinem and host workshops. On a side note, I'm usually the only guy to show up to these events which is still an interesting contrast from my sausage-fest engineering days.

The social dynamics of the social events are always amusing/awkward. Tonight I was at a table with other seniors and editors from campus mags. At th other two tables are the underclass(wo)men. There's always an attempt to bridge the gap, but it usually doesn't work well. Christine or I, for example will approach some freshmen/sophomores, smile, say hello and introduce ourselves, and largely be met by blank stares. Hooray networking!

Molson: Tastes like Miller Lite, I think corn was used from the flavor.

Blue Moon: This was also free. Not too bad, but it's a bad example for the style and a little too sweet.

Finger Lakes Apricot Wheat: Light in body and tastes like apricot flavoring.

Brewer's Reserve Bourbon Barrel Stout: Not much stout flavor, but an interesting blend of whiskey and beer flavors.

Brewer's Reserve Bourbon Cherry Stout: Like the above beer, but with cherries. I liked this one better as the cherries added a nice tart level to the flavor.

Mud Puppy Porter: Had a really nice long roasted and bitter chocolate aftertaste. Thanks Central Waters.

No comments: