Sunday, April 1, 2007

Weekend Review


There's been a lot of new beer lately, along with a few people acting life dinosaurs. That Archie doing a Stegosaurus impression. I've been on a bit of pilsner and Euro pale lager kick lately and I think that's about over as I can't find anymore decent ones in Syracuse. And because Euro pale lagers are kind of a boring style anyways.

Here's a rundown of what's new, good, and bad:

Kalnapilis Original: A supposed award-winning Lithuanian lager. Nice, but ho-hum.

High Seas Holy Sheet: It's a cute name, but this is the worst attempt at a Belgian I've tried (next to my failed Belgian homebrew).

Michigan Brewing Bavarian Dark
: A little cocoa flavor, but too mellow overall.

Yuengling Traditional Lager: This adjunct-fuel amber lager is ok at best. I call it over-rated.

Smuttynose Hanami Ale
: A pretty cool cherry beer and I don't usually like fruit beer. A little sweet and a little tart. A little like beer and a little like fruit juice.

My favorite beer that I've had recently was actually my home brewed IPA. It clocks in at 7.5% abv and 75 IBUs from the 7 oz. of hops used in the boil and dry-hopping. I'll also mention my new hefeweizen is chugging away next to me around 68F. If I stick my nose next to the airlock I can smell the banana and clove coming from the yeast. This is why I love homebrewing and today's crappy weather makes me want to brew some more. I think a chile beer might come next.

No comments: