Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Cancun Update #2


Hokay. I got a US-keyboard this time but Blogger loaded in Spanish, fun fun. Anyways, the weather is great and all is good. We visited Chichen Itza today and it's almost dinner time and I still havent had anything to drink. It happens.

Yesterday we hung around the Hotel Zone, picked up a few things and laid on the beach twice. One of the fun parts of Cancun is that I've yet to see an open-container law enforced. Yes, they do have them here, but I've typically had a beer while shopping or people watching. I kind of expected this from what I'd heard, but was still surprised to see people taking their margaritas onto the public buses.

I should also mention that while most of the tourist are pretty cool. I've seen a couple ugly American stereotypes. On the second night, there were a couple drunks heading to Wal-Mart for a stereo. They wanted to throw a room party and were tell everyone they could. One local seemed to be pretty amused until the drunk (from MN I unfortunately admit) started talking about taking her back to his room. While she seemed quite nice, 30-40-something moms aren't my cup of tea. Different strokes for different folks, and drunks.

1 comment:

Jacob said...

Drinking where you're usually not supposed to is a bizarre and awesome experience, I've found. And apparently the countries you can do that in are way more than I thought. America can tout it's freedom all it wants, but having an open bottle in front of the Brandenburg Gate in Berlin is arguably the freest thing I've ever done.

Oh, and here's my blog. http://www.thejacoblog.blogspot.com