Friday, March 23, 2007

Cascazilla and LongShot Old Ale


Over the last couple days I've had Sam Adams' LongShot Old Ale and Ithaca Beer Co.'s Cascazilla. Both big beers in their own right. I've tried only a few old ales in my two years of tedious beer study, and haven't generally found them that appealing. The LongShot Old Ale really does it for me, however, and I'll be sad to see this one-time brew go.

Unlike a lot of similar malt-heavy English old ales and barleywines, this is neither too heavy or too sweet. It's just right. I gave it a 4.1 on BA and you can read my review here.

The Cascazilla was a completely different story. It was basically an over-hopped (i a good way) amber/red ale. The result is a beer that sings the praises of hops (citrus and piney flavors, they're good, really they are), without bing too alcoholic like most double IPAs that are around 10%. This garnered a 4/5 from me. It was good, but is just wasn't that complex.

No comments: