Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Celebrating with beer


This Tuesday afternoon I got the call from Rodale offering me a six-month paid internship with Men's Health. I've been sweating this internship out for a month or so now and finally getting offered it was great news. To celebrate, I went with Christine down to the Blue Tusk, a beer bar with 69 taps and good food, for a little snack and beer.

This was a pretty big day considering all that happened. In the morning I went out for my first road ride of the year, a nearly 2:30 bike with Lindsey that included three 10-minute hill repeats. I was so fucking tired and muddy after. I took a picture for posterity. Notice the mud freckles and don't mind the chest hair.

It was also my two-year anniversary with my girlfriend Christine. Until now, I didn't know you could date someone that long and still like them. It works for me, go figure. We had a great dinner at Pastabilities and then went back to the Blue Tusk for a couple dessert beers, Goose Island Imperial IPA and Leffe Brown.

New beers:

Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat - Jacob recommended this one to me a while ago and I had one with dinner tonight. It's not a bad summer beer.

Goose Island Imperial IPA - Pretty good, but not quite great. The hops need some fine tuning so the finer flavors aren't overrun.

Leffe Brown - A smooth dark Belgian, but a little flavorless. I call it the Guinness of Beligum, looks fantastic but tastes so-so.

Brooklyn Smoked Weissbock - An interesting (and strong) wheat beer thats big on malt flavor.

Magic Hat's Ravell - A nice vanilla porter. Tastes like chocolate and vanilla candy.

1 comment:

Jacob said...

If it's true that I did indeed like Sunset Wheat at one time, those days are over. It's a little too sweet for me these days. My beer tastes have been toned, I think. I have you to thank for a big part of that.