Friday, March 9, 2007

New Brew Rising


Aside from driving my sister to the airport at 5 AM, this Friday was pretty relaxed. I woke up and drove to the homebrewing store with the idea that I'd brew a batch the sunday before class starts again. Well, I got home, set the bag of crushed barley down, and it smelled so good I just couldn't resist. Now the beer is happily sitting in the fermentor just starting to bubble.

It's supposed to be a low-alcohol brown ale. It's loosely based on an English dark mild, but is a little darker, heavier, and without the British yeast. It's also got some German influences as I used a single-decoction mash to bring out the malt flavor, plus Wyeast's German Ale yeast.

Here's the recipe:
4# Pale malt
2.5# Biscuit malt
1# 120L Crystal malt
1/4# Chocolate malt
1/4# British wheat

Mashed at 152 F
Decocted about a gallon for 15 min.

1/2 oz. Cascade hops @ 60min
1/2 oz. Cascade hops @ 15 min

Pitched 125mL of Wyeast German Ale Yeast


The starting gravity came out at about 1.044, which means this beer should turn out at 4.1-4.4% abv. In a week I'll rack to secondary and bottle the cherry stout that currently hanging out. Hopefully this one won't need much time before it's ready. I'm getting anxious.

No comments: