Sunday, March 18, 2007

Session Brown Update

I couldn't wait any longer and checked out my new, 1 week-old brown ale. It looks like it fermented fairly cold at 60 F, but turned out fine thanks to the German ale yeast made for colder temps. I pulled a sample that gave a gravity reading of 1.011, that puts it at about 4.1% abv. That puts it next to light beer in terms of alcohol.

The flavor really knocked my socks off for being such a small beer. It reminded me of a couple good beers I've tried, Ithaca Beer Co.'s Nut Brown and Dogfish Head's Chicory Stout. It tastes of dark grains, slightly sweet with black licorice and cocoa powder.

This could be ready for consumption in as little as 2 weeks if I can get the cherry stout or graduation beer bottled to open up a conditioner. The problem is I don't have much time, or many spare bottles to take care of either. I took a case of dusty and dirty 16 oz returnables my friend Carly donated into the basement to sit with a little bleach. Hopefully, there'll be some progress by the end of the week.